New Approaches to Irish English Corpus Pragmatics
- There are no current announcements
Workshop co-organized by Prof. John Kirk (University of Vienna) and Prof. Patricia Ronan (TU Dortmund) and fully funded by the German Research Foundation ("Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft") at
- TU Dortmund, April 26-27, 2019
- Venue: Emil Figge Str. 50, rooms 0.406 & 0.409
If you would like to attend the workshop without being a speaker, please contact the organizers at email@example.com
|Schedule of the Workshop |
(Click on the titles for abstracts)
|Friday, April 26|
|12:30 - 13:00||Registration||Room 0.420, EMF 50|
|From 13.00 - 14.30||Pre-conference workshop:
The SPICE Ireland corpus as a research resource for the pragmatics of Irish English
|14:30||Refreshments and further registration||Room 0.420|
|15:00||Specific Features of Irish English Pragmatics I: Discourse||Room 0.406|
|15:00||Pronouns of address in the history of Irish English||Ray Hickey|
|15:30||‘Sarah McNeilly died there last spring’: The pragmatics of there in Irish English||Carolina Amador, Brian Clancy & Elaine Vaughan|
|16:00||Pseudonyms as carriers of culture-specific threat in nineteenth century Irish threatening notices||Marije Van Hattum & Arne Peters|
|17:00||What happens in the initial and the final position? – A case study of the pragmatic marker anyway in different positions in the utterance in Irish English||Karin Aijmer|
|Saturday, April 27|
|10:00||Features of Irish English Pragmatics II: Politeness and speech acts||Room 0.406, EMF 50|
|10:00||Contrasting pragmatic choices in responding to thanks in Ireland, England and Canada||Anne Barron|
|10:30||Multimodality in speech acts: What personal conversations in SPICE Ireland can tell us about politeness||Patricia Ronan|
|11:30||Automatically Detecting directives with SPICE Ireland||Gerold Schneider|
|12:00||Annotation for directive speech acts in a corpus of Scottish correspondence (1500-1700)||Christine Elsweiler|
|14:00||Specific Features of Irish English||Room 0.406, EMF 50|
|14:00||What studying the meta-illocutionary lexicon reveals about first-order conceptualizations of speech acts: Evidence from ICE-Ireland||Klaus P. Schneider|
|14:30||A sociophonetic analysis of stance-taking in L2 Irish English||Marion Schulte|
|15:30||Multimodality - the way forward for corpuspragmatics? (Plenary paper)||Christoph Rühlemann|
The way forward in Corpus Pragmatics
Reaching the conference venue by Air:
- Düsseldorf: For international flights you may fly into Düsseldorf Airport. From there you can get train connections to Dortmund from the Düsseldorf Airport Station (access via Skytrain). One suburban train (S1 ->Dortmund) runs right past Dortmund University ( Dortmund Universität). This is the right train stop for Tryp Hotel as well. Other regional trains RE 1, RE 6 and RRX 11 go to Dortmund Main Station. From there you can take a suburban train (S1 -> Solingen) to Dortmund University.
To buy your tickets, select zone D tickets (15.70€, valid for 4 hours) for regional and suburban trains at the ticket machines in the Skytrain station at the airport or at the airport train station.
- Dortmund:Ryan Air and Easy Jet also fly into Dortmund Airport from London Stansted and London Luton. From Dortmund Airport, you can take an express bus into Dortmund town centre. Tickets to Dortmund town centre are 8.50 € (can be bought on the bus).
Reaching the venue by train and local transport
For local traffic within Dortmund (S trains and Urban rail + busses), you need a zone A(3) ticket. A single journey costs 2.90 €, a multi-journey ticket (4 journeys) costs 10.50 €.
- Trains: The conference venue at Dortmund University is served by the suburban rail service S1. On weekdays, this leaves Dortmund Main Station every 20 minutes(30 mins on weekends). To get to the University from Dortmund Main Station, take the S1 into the direction of Solingen.
- Local transport: If not taking the S1, Dortmund University can also be reached by a combination of the urban light rail and bus. To get to the university, take the U42 (direction -> Grevel)and change for the 445 or 462 bus towards the University at An der Palmweide.
AccommodationArrangements have been made with Mercure Hotel Dortmund City in order to reserve rooms.
Mercure Hotel Dortmund City can be reached by taking the S1 to Dortmund Main Station. Leave the station to the town centre side, cross the road and walk along up the pedestrian area towards a church. The first road that you cross is Kampstrasse. Turn left and the hotel is on your left.
- We have reserved rooms in the Mercure Hotel Dortmund City, conveniently located close to the station. The hotel website can be found here.
- Speakers at the conference should let the organizers know as soon as possible if they want a room to be reserved for them as there only is a limited number of rooms available.
- Prospective participants to the conference who are not speakers should please make their own arrangements.